Remembering the Railway: 50 years later
The National Trust of Trinidad and Tobago in collaboration with the Siparia Regional Corporation and the Deltones Steel Orchestra will host: Remembering the Railway: Tour and Lecture on Saturday 20th October, 2018 from 9:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. The tour begins at the City Gate, Port of Spain and concludes with a lecture at the Deltones Steel Orchestra Panyard, Siparia. This event is in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the closure of the railway system in 1968.
The Trinidad Government Railway (TGR) was originally built in 1876 to connect Port of Spain to Arima. The railway was extended to Couva in 1880, San Fernando in 1882, Cunapo (now Sangre Grande) in 1897, Tabaquite in 1898, Siparia in 1913 and Rio Claro in 1914. Siparia was the last destination on the train line and the site now serves as the panyard of the Siparia’s Deltones Steel Orchestra.
The celebrations include visits to the ‘Last Train to San Fernando’ and the San Fernando Railway Station; a heritage lecture by Glen Beadon, railway enthusiast at the Delones Steel Orchestra Panyard, Siparia; performances by the Deltones Steel Orchestra and a Farmers’ & Craft Market.
Tickets for the tour cost $300.00 members, $350.00 non-members and are available at the office of the National Trust of Trinidad and Tobago, 68-70 Sackville Street Port of Spain. For further details about the event please contact the National Trust of Trinidad and Tobago at 225-4750/ 706-6316, Fax: 226-1008 or email: email@example.com.