Adverse weather alert #1 - Yellow level
The Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service (TTMS) has issued an Adverse Weather Alert #1 – Yellow Level for Trinidad and Tobago, from Wednesday 17th October 2018 at 10:00 a.m. to Friday 19th October, 2018 at 8:00 p.m.
The TTMS has advised that an active ITCZ is expected to produce heavy showers and thunderstorms over some areas, which can lead to flash flooding, gusty winds and landslides/landslips in areas so prone.
Persons residing or working in flood prone or landslip prone areas are urged to be extra vigilant and to take the necessary steps to preserve life and property.
The Office of Disaster Preparedness and Management (ODPM) would like residents and visitors to Get Ready and Stay Ready by implementing the following steps:
1. Pre-position sandbags around your property, especially if your area or property has a history of flooding or has been recently impacted;
2. If there are signs that flooding is about to occur near your property, move important items to a higher floor if possible;
3. After heavy rainfall, stay inside until water levels have subsided;
4. Do not walk, play or drive through flood waters of unknown depth and current;
5. Be cautious when walking /driving along hillsides or landslide-prone areas;
6. If impacted by the adverse weather, please contact your Municipal Corporation or the Tobago Emergency Management Agency (TEMA) through its toll-free hotline numbers.
Citizens should continue to monitor the website and social media profiles of the Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service and the ODPM for weather forecasts, alerts, warnings and cancelations. Visit www.metoffice.gov.tt or wwww.odpm.gov.tt.
WE WISH TO UNDERSCORE THAT TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO IS NOT CURRENTLY UNDER ANY TROPICAL STORM OR HURRICANE THREAT, WATCH OR WARNING.